SoonR Talk brings VOIP to your iPhone
Apple and Cisco had announced that they would share the name "iPhone," Apple using it for its new smartphone, and Cisco using the name for their Linksys-branded VOIP phone for home networks thus resolving the "iPhone" trademark dispute. Apple might not be able to restrict use of iPhone for VOIP calls as Soonr Talk is offerring a solution for those interested in making VOIP calls from their iPhone. I wonder how Cisco will be react to this development.
Soonr Talk provides you a way to use Skype and make VOIP calls from your iPhone. Before you get excited let me warn you that the process involved in making a VOIP call is quite cumbersome.This is how it works based on information available on their website*:
- Install SoonR Talk client on your PC which has the latest version of Skype insalled
- Log into AJAX-enabled SoonR website on your iPhone (I suppose with your skype account)
- You should be able to view your Skype buddies
- Click on the buddy you want to talk to.
- SoonR Talk will tell your PC to call your mobile phone using your SkypeOut credit.
- Then SoonR Talk will instruct Skype to call your buddy, placing you in a conference
Requirements to get this working:
- Make sure you're running the latest version of Skype on your PC
- SoonR client running on your PC
All of this will be using the Safari browser on your iPhone, so there is no worry of how to revert back in case you do not like this long process of making VOIP calls.
SoonR also offers other cool applications like SoonR Desktop & SoonR Organizer, however not sure if they will work with the iPhone, but these two applications along with SoonR Talk will be cool applications to have on your iPhone as mostly the critical information that people depend on are still stored on personal computers and their hard disks.